When I ran for Member of Parliament of Brampton West for the Liberals in 2015, I wanted to help make life affordable for hard-working families. During Stephen Harper’s Conservative government, Canadians were given a mixed bag of three different benefits. One benefit they even taxed again after you receive it, and their priority was not to focus it on middle class Canadians who needed it the most.
Brampton West, being one of the youngest ridings in all of Canada, has many families just trying to raise their kids while being able to provide the best possible life for them.
Team Trudeau focused on making sure regular Canadian families got a break.
Here are the facts:
- In 2016, our government stopped the Conservative practice of sending benefit cheques to millionaires, and launched the Canada Child Benefit
- 9 out of 10 Canadian families now have more money to help pay for a better childhood
- We increased the Canada Child Benefit for a second time in July 2019
- For children under the age of 6, parents can now receive a maximum annual benefit of $6,639
- For children between 6 and 17, parents can now receive a maximum annual benefit of $5602
- You know how to raise your own children, so unlike the Conservatives we did not attach any conditions on whether your money goes to healthy food, sports programs, tutoring, or music lessons
Every time the Conservatives have been asked to stand up and show their support for the CCB, they have refused to do so.
Only the Liberals will continue to fight to make sure kids in Brampton West have the best chance at reaching their full potential.